Area 47 in Austria is an outdoor adventure playground for adrenaline junkies in the Ötztal or Ötz Valley in Tyrol. It´s the perfect place to be if you want to experience the beauty of the Alps while enjoying exhilarating activities such as extreme water sports, zip lining, a high ropes course, rock climbing, and a giant swing.
For many years, the Area 47 water park was like a dangling carrot in front of our noses. The reason? The water park and most of the other activities aren´t for small children. So, we waited for our son to turn into a teenager. And when his cousin came to visit on a sunny summer weekend, the time was right to bite a huge chunk out of the carrot.
Area 47 Water Park Basics
|Day Ticket Prices||€32 per adult in peak season|
€22 for kids from 6 to 15
(Free if you stay in Area 47 accommodation or book any of the other activities)
See full price list here or buy the ticket online at a discounted price
|Opening Times||10am to 6pm (April, May, September,October) 10am to 7 pm (June, July, August)|
|Season||End of April to beginning of October|
|Attractions||Blobbing, cannonball, diving platforms, slides, splash track, etc.|
|Size||20 000 m²|
5 Good Reasons to Visit Area 47 Austria
- This is where you´ll find Europe´s fastest waterslide and Austria´s highest rope course.
- Entry to the water park area is free if you book any of the outdoor adventure activities or stay in Area 47´s own accommodation.
- All waterpark activities and equipment are included in the entry price.
- Reaching Area 47 by public transport is quick and easy, with a direct train connection between Innsbruck and Ötztal Bahnhof several times per day.
- The Ötz Valley is home to other great attractions like Lake Piburg, the Stuiben Waterfalls, and Ötzi the ancient ice man who you can learn all about at Ötzidorf in Umhausen.
Area 47 Water Park Attractions
- Blob – Launch yourself or a friend into the air (and then into the water) by jumping onto a giant airbag from a platform on top of a building.
- Slides – Five water slides – from easy-peasy to downright petrifying – are waiting to be tried and enjoyed as many times as you want.
- Slip `n Slide – Will you be brave enough to slip down a 17-metre high rubber-coated slide, get hurled up to eight metres into the air and make a spectacular water landing?
- Diving – Divers (or jumpers) can launch themselves from platforms at heights of three, five, and 7,5 metres. More experienced divers and pros can even show their skills from a ten or 27-metre high pla tform.
- Cannonball – Let yourself be catapulted into the air and into the water by a powerful water jet.
- Splash Track – An inflatable obstacle course on the water where the biggest challenge is to get to the other side without falling in the water once. I gave up after the first try!
- Bathing area – For the less adventurous (like 50-something moms) there is a lovely, calm bathing area from where to watch other people do crazy things. The water temperature was a pleasant 24 °C when we visited.
- Climbing Wall
- Slack Line
Minimum Age Requirements
Most of the activities at Area 47 have minimum age requirements. Make sure you know what they are before trying them out.
More Things to Do at Area 47
- Wakeboarding – Get your feet strapped to a waterboard before getting pulled around a 20,000 m² wakeboard lake.
- Beach soccer and volleyball – Just outside the Area 47 water area there are beach volleyball and soccer courts. The use of the courts is free. If you don´t have a ball, you can rent one for a small fee at the water park ticket office.
- River rafting – Conquer the rapids of the Ötztaler Ache or the Imster Gorge.
- Canyoning – Take a canyoning class before exploring the canyons along the Nederbach River, in the Vorderes Ötz Valley, or Kühtai from a whole different angle.
- Caving – Discover a cave that leads to an abandoned building from World War II.
- Mountain biking – Different tours for different skill levels are available, including for e-bikes. There is also a brand new indoor bike park. Bring your own bike or rent one.
- Climbing – The 27-metre high climbing tower built around a pillar of the bridge that crosses the Ötztaler Ache near the Area 47 water park entrance, is the highest artificial climbing wall in Austria. For climbing on natural rock, you can book a tour to the via ferrata alongside the Lehner waterfall at Längenfeld.
- High ropes course, mega swing, and flying fox – Three more activities offered from the bridge over the Ötztaler Ache.
- Bungy jumping or valley swing
Eating and Drinking
- Lakeside Restaurant – A perfectly situated self-service restaurant with a terrace overlooking the water area. You can dine here without a ticket to the water park. This is also where you enjoy the breakfast that is included with all Area 47 accommodation.
- Beach Bar – Close to the general bathing area within the Area 47 water park where you can get cool drinks or ice cream.
- Riverside Bar & Grill – A steakhouse and bar next to the Ötztaler Ache that stays open late.
- Wake Café – Enjoy a drink or some snacks while watching the wakeboarders trying to stay upright in the wake area.
Getting to Area 47 in Austria
By car – Getting to Area 47 by car is easy via the A12 motorway in the Tyrolean Inn Valley. The water park and main reception area is just over 50 minutes or a 40-minute drive from Innsbruck. There is ample free parking close to the entrance, especially if you arrive early like we did.
By train – Trains from Innsbruck or Landeck stop at Ötztal Bahnhof at regular intervals. From here, it´s more than possible to walk to Area 47, but you can also take Bus 320 in the direction of Obergurgl Zentrum and get off at Ötztaler Höhe EKZ before walking the remaining 1,5 km. Check for trains and buy tickets here.
Transfer – If you are more than two people, it could also be worthwhile and convenient to book a transfer to drop you at your accommodation.
Where to Stay
Area 47 has various accommodation options, from simple single, double or triple rooms to more upmarket double rooms and wooden chalets with room for up to five people. Rates include breakfast, water park entry, discounts on other activities, and free GoPro rental.
Because Area 47´s own accommodation can get booked out quite easily during the peak season, you may want to consider other options in the area. Use the deal finder below to get something suitable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Area 47 is an outdoor adventure park in the Ötztaler Alps in Austria. It features, among other things, an unusual water park, wake area, river rafting, canyoning, caving, mountain biking, and climbing.
Area 47 is at the entrance to the Ötz Valley or Ötztal in Tyrol, Austria. The main facilities are only about 53 km from Innsbruck.
Entry tickets to the Area 47 water park starts at €30 per person for day visitors. However, entry is free if you stay in Area 47 accommodation or book one of the other adventure activities like river rafting or canyoning.
Having fun in Austria, and then writing about it is hard work 😆 . That’s why some links in this article are affiliate links. I may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you use any of them to make a purchase. It’s totally cool if you don’t. I love to help anyway. If you do, it will help us discover another part of Austria to write about.